Do you want their Service Record?

The Army Personnel Centre Historical Disclosures Section has access to Army records dating back to the 1920s and can supply information to the next of kin of deceased former soldiers and officers who have served, and to other enquirers, provided that 25 years have passed since the death of the subject. If you have not done so already this would be a good place to begin before contacting us. Please note that there is a charge for this service.

Existing World War One records are held at the National Archives at Kew with a digital copy available on Around half of the records from World War One were destroyed during World War Two.

Why is the Service Number important?

Each soldier is given a service number that stays with them throughout their career. In the records, especially those from World War Two, there are likely to be a number of men with the same surname, same initials or no initials, or a spelling error of the surname. If you do not have a service number, try contacting the Army Personnel Centre.

What information do we hold?

In terms of research about individuals we do not hold large amounts of data. We do not hold personal service records of former members of the four Corps except some officers of the RAMC and its predecessor organisation and the RAVC who held a regular commission in the army. If the officer served only for the duration of the war or was a member of the reserve forces then we will not hold any records, except those published in the Army List.

How do you make an enquiry to the Museum?

Email and ask for an enquiry form. Ensure that you have read the information on the form before completing and send along with your donation to:

The Museum of Military Medicine
Keogh Barracks
Ash Vale
GU12 5RQ